OPEN HEAVENS DEVOTIONAL
DATE: FRIDAY AUGUST 26TH 2022
THEME: BETTER CALL HIM LORD NOW
MEMORIZE: And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father. Philippians 2:11
READING REVELATION 5:8-13
8. And when he had taken the book, the four beasts and four and twenty elders fell down before the Lamb, having every one of them harps, and golden vials full of odours, which are the prayers of saints.
9. And they sung a new song, saying, Thou art worthy to take the book, and to open the seals thereof: for thou wast slain, and hast redeemed us to God by thy blood out of every kindred, and tongue, and people, and nation;
10. And hast made us unto our God kings and priests: and we shall reign on the earth.
11. And I beheld, and I heard the voice of many angels round about the throne and the beasts and the elders: and the number of them was ten thousand times ten thousand, and thousands of thousands;
12. Saying with a loud voice, Worthy is the Lamb that was slain to receive power, and riches, and wisdom, and strength, and honour, and glory, and blessing.
13. And every creature which is in heaven, and on the earth, and under the earth, and such as are in the sea, and all that are in them, heard I saying, Blessing, and honour, and glory, and power, be unto him that sitteth upon the throne, and unto the Lamb for ever and ever.
All the creations of God call Him Lord. The birds sing His praises, the trees clap their hands to praise Him, the seas roar His praises, the mountains skip at His presence, even the sun and moon speak of His majesty.
In Mark 4:39, Jesus simply issued a command for there to be peace and the storm ceased immediately. Everyone present there marvelled and wondered what kind of man He was that even the seas obeyed Him. He however, has one creation that proves stubborn sometimes humans.
Many people, even with all that they can see and have heard of Him still don’t acknowledge Him as Lord. When I was a lecturer in the University, my seniors, people with tremendous academic achievements, were divided into categories whenever I was talking to them about Jesus.
One category would say, God is dead, another No, He is not dead. It may be true that He created the world because, from the little we see in science, it requires great intelligence to put the entire world together; but at the end of the day, He discovered that what He created was too big for Him and He has lost control.
The category of people who would want to be generous would then say, Well, whether He is dead or not, I don’t know. Whether He has lost control or not, I don’t know. One thing I know is that He is in Heaven minding His business and I am here on earth minding my own.
Philippians 2:10-11 says: “That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth; And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.”
If you refuse to call Him Lord when you are at peace, you will be forced to call Him Lord when you are in trouble. Those who don’t make Him the Lord of their life early enough will have to kneel and confess that He is Lord after the rapture when they are either left behind on earth or in hell underneath the earth.
If you continue to reject His Lordship now because you want to live as you please, you will still call Him Lord from hell later. The choice is yours.
Father, I call you my Lord today and I promise to live my life according to Your word, now and always.
BIBLE IN ONE YEAR: Jeremiah 13-16
AUTHOR: PASTOR E. A ADEBOYE
HYMN 10: JESUS MY LORD, MY GOD, MY ALL
1 Jesus, my Lord, my God, my all,
hear me, blest Savior, when I call;
hear me, and from thy dwelling place
pour down the riches of thy grace.
Jesus, my Lord, I thee adore;
O make me love thee more and more.
2 Jesus, too late I thee have sought;
how can I love thee as I ought?
And how extol thy matchless fame,
the glorious beauty of thy name? [Refrain]
3 Jesus, what didst thou find in me
that thou hast dealt so lovingly?
How great the joy that thou hast brought,
so far exceeding hope or thought! [Refrain]
4 Jesus, of thee shall be my song;
to thee my heart and soul belong;
all that I have or am is thine,
and thou, blest Savior, thou art mine. [Refrain].