TOPIC: FASTING AND PRAYER OUR PRIESTLY MINISTRY
Scripture: Luke 2: 37. And she was a widow of about fourscore and four years, which departed not from the temple, but served God with fastings and prayers night and day.
Beloved, I welcome you to another Moment of Daily Encounter!
Yesterday we established that fasting and prayer is the priestly ministry of the believers. And we went further to explain why fasting must be added to your prayers. Today we intend to continue on this.
Why combine fasting with prayer?
Many sincere believers have asked this question again and again, “can’t we do without fasting?” “Must we fast our intestines out before God answers our prayers?” And many more questions. We began yesterday by answering some of these questions.
1. It is because fasting helps to deaden the flesh so that the spirit of man can be released to pray more than usual. And this has helped in breaking bad habits/addiction.
2. It is because fasting helps to tackle oppression and wickedness of the wicked (for details of this check yesterday’s meditation)
3. This is because when we fast, we fulfil scriptural prophecy (Mrk2:18-20): One of the prophecies of Jesus is :
Mark 2: 20. But the days will come, when the bridegroom shall be taken away from them, and then shall they fast in those days.
Today is that day in prophecy Jesus spoke of when the bridegroom will be taken away. Some have said, ‘am I Moses or Jesus who fasted for 40days?’
Others have argued that there’s no need to fast because Jesus has fasted for you. Hear me child of God, these are the last days when scriptures are being fulfilled before our very eyes. So we fast as a fulfilment of prophecy Jesus spoke of.
4. It is because fasting is a way of serving the Lord (Lk.2:36-37). This is our opening scripture, which reveals a widow of 84years old was busy serving the Lord with fasting.
Beloved, do you know that when we fast as believers, it is not a punishment but our way of serving the Lord.
This is why fasting must not stop at the beginning of the year only, it must be a continuous exercise because it is a tool for serving the Lord.
Fasting is actually a service to the Lord as we pray for the kingdom of God to advance(Matt 6:10), light to reign over darkness (Matt.4:16, Eph.6:12), the church of Jesus to triumph(2Cor.2:14), the gospel to have a free course(2Thess.3:1), the word of God to increase(Acts 6:7,19:20), etc. We are simply serving the interest of the kingdom of God! And doing this with fasting is a service unto God.
Besides, what exactly was Anna the 84years widow fasting and praying for? She had been serving the Lord with fasting for the past 77years because she only enjoy marriage for 7years, when she lost her husband.
If it were to be some of us, our fasting will center only around us! Neither was she fasting for a new husband not for job or her children. Her focus was the kingdom! She was fasting for the fulfilment of prophecy! She had heard of the Messiah that would be born, she prayed until that prophecy was fulfilled in her time(Lk 2:38)!
Beloved, when prophecies are declared, fasting enhances its fulfilment. Therefore, whatever you have received as a prophecy will strongly be contested by the gates of hell.
It takes fasting and prayer to wage war against anti-prophecy powers and clear off obstacles hindering the fulfilment of prophecy on time.
5. Even Jesus our Lord and Saviour fasted to show us example.(Matt.4:2)
Beloved, fasting and prayer goes hand in hand. As it is necessary to subdue the flesh, wage war against wickedness, fulfil scripture, service to the Lord and following the footsteps of Jesus.
Remember this: Heaven is real and hell is real! Your eternal soul matters to God. So give your heart to Christ today.
– Father thank you for your word to me today.
– Lord, I receive grace for fasting and prayer in Jesus name.
– I declare upon your life Whatever is contesting for your head is hereby arrested now in the name of Jesus.
– Every anti-prophecy power working to ensure your prophecy never gets fulfilled is hereby arrested in the name of Jesus.
You are blessed!
From your brother Alex
God bless you.