I’ve been making money online internationally since 2015 and because Nigerians are partially banned from using Paypal, which is the most universally recognized payment platform, I had to turn to other means.
Most companies prefer Paypal, but if you don’t have one, then the next best thing to use is a US bank account.
A US account number makes sending money and receiving payment online quite easy and everyone should have one.
Funny enough, having this payment option is easy and in this post, I’m going to be showing you how to open a US bank account from Nigeria. The best part about this tutorial is that you don’t have to hide your IP address or pretend to be someone you are not to do so.
The methods outlined in this tutorial are straightforward and easy and you can have your US bank account up and ready in no time.
How to Open a US Bank Account From Nigeria
Open a US Bank Account Via Payoneer
1) Head over to www.payoneer.com and sign up for an account using an email address and a password that will be easy to remember.
Once you sign up using that link, you earn $25 as do I. However, one thing Payoneer fails to mention is that you will only earn this money when you have received up to $1,000 into your account.
2. From the next page, select
Individual from the drop-down menu and I am looking to get paid by international clients and marketplaces then click Register.
3. On the next page, enter your details and you are good to go.
4. Once your account is opened, you would need to verify your identity. Payoneer requires you to upload two different sets of documents to get verified.
To do so, navigate to Settings from the drop-down menu and click on Verification center.
On the page opened, enter a picture of your utility bill and then your International Passport/Driver’s License. Wait for Payoneer to verify your account and you are good to go.
A Few Things You Should Know About Payoneer
Payoneer is a secure and trusted payment processor which is why they are used in over 200 countries. However, the use of this platform comes with some fee and you should know what these are:
– You will be issued a debit card if requested which can be used on any ATM in Nigeria with a Mastercard logo. However, Payoneer charges a yearly card maintenance fee of $29.95, which will be taken from your account so long as you have the card, whether or not you receive money into the account.
– You can transfer money directly from your Payoneer account to your Nigerian bank account (after adding and verifying the bank account. Verification takes less than a day) and you will be charged $3.15 for each transaction.
– You get charged $1 each time you check your account balance, so you want to limit balance checks to the barest.
– You can add a domiciliary account and transfer money directly to this and you will be charged the current going rate for a dollar.
In all, Payoneer is an easy platform to use and it can save you all the stress and Castle of looking for a payment processor when you need to receive money internationally and you should check it out.
To see your US bank account, click on Receive and then Global Payment Services and you will be presented with your US bank account as well as a UK and Japanese account numbers.
To receive payment into any of these accounts, all you would do is send the bank name, account number, and routing number to your client.
TransferWise is another internationals payment processor that will show you how to open a US account number from Nigeria.
The process with TransferWise is much shorter and can be done in five to ten minutes.
All you would need to do is download the TransferWise app from Google Play Store and register.
To get assigned a US bank account, you would need to follow the simple process of funding your account with $20.
Once this is done, you get assigned a US bank account that you can use to send and receive money from over 80 countries around the world.
Payoneer VS TransferWise: Which Should You Go For?
Most people wonder which is the better option between Payoneer and TransferWise and which they should go for.
In my opinion, I would say go for whichever works easier for you since you would be achieving the singular option of getting a US account number with both
However, you want to also bear in mind that Payoneer offers the little benefit of $25 for everyone you refer. This means if you refer 100 people who actively use their accounts and can get $1,000 in, you would be making a free $250 for doing next to nothing!