As a Child of God, you have been called out of darkness into his marvelous light, God as called you out of the world into his light, to the end that you manifest like him, that is why, when you receive the Lord, you are changed, you are translated from the kingdom of darkness into the kingdom of his dear son, this is why you are expected to live the life of an overcomer, this is what you have been called to do.
But you are going to be confronted in many ways, especially when you are still growing in the lord; many people find themselves battling with one sin or the other, an habit or addiction.
This is not meant to be so, but in this article, I will be sharing some of the ways you can live an overcomer’s life over sin and the world, as a child of God.
Sin denies God’s people access to their inheritance, it rob them of their right in redemption, it makes them vulnerable and a prey to the devil, while they supposed to be victorious and have dominion.
But the question many people keep asking is;
Is it possible to be victorious over sin? Can a Christian Live above Sin?
The answer is Yes, It is possible.
When you received Jesus, you have the very life of God in you, this forbids the nature of sin, you received the gift of the Holy Spirit, which enables you to live a life well pleasing to God, a life of righteousness and peace. But, just like every other provision of the scriptures, they are tied to a condition, if you want to activate it, you must subscribe to the condition, this is how to activate it.
How to live Above Sin;
- Made up your Mind: Your mind is the center of your life events, everything about your life comes first from your mind, and that is why you must make a decision to live above sin, it is your decision that God will work with, he strengthens your decision and choice. If you don’t make a decision, you will never be able to overcome sin; your choice is what empowers you to live above sin. The Grace of God comes alive when you have made the choice to live for God.
- Ask the Holy Spirit to Help You: You cannot do it on your own, because there are forces behind sin and unrighteousness, they are there to keep you in a state of defeat, there are many people who do not like to behave in certain ways but unfortunately they keep seeing themselves behaving in that way, those are forces of darkness at work, but you can ask for the help of the holy spirit, to help you live right, it takes the enablement of the spirit to live right, you can make demand for the help of the spirit, read books on the person of the holy spirit because as his ministry is unveiled to you the more, you will also be able to encounter him through your life. The Bible says, the spirit quickeneth, the flesh profits nothing, the words that I speak to you, they are spirit and life, (John 6:63). So the words of through the holy spirit gives you spirit and life, which enables you to live and overcome the forces of sin.
- Let the Word of God dwell in you richly: This is yet another principle you can deploy to live a victorious life as a Child of God, if you want to overcome sin, let the word of God dwell in you richly, the bible says, man shall not live by bread alone but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God ( Matt 4:4 ), this is so paramount, there is an indwelling work that the word of God performs in your life as a Child of God, that empowers you to live right, it establishes the fear of God in you, it causes you to walk in the wisdom of God, it helps you to say no to sin, it writes the counsel of God in your spirit man, and this causes you to live a life well pleasing to God. The bible speaking in Psalm 119:9 says; wherewith shall a young man cleanse his way? By taking heed thereto according to thy word. So the word of God, cleanses you, wash you and help you to depart from the way of transgression and wickedness. The Word of God also enhances your love for God, and when you love God, it impacts you with the cautiousness needed to live a life that is pleasing to God.
- Give yourself to the Lifestyle of Prayer: The lifestyle of prayer is something that will always keep you on the path of righteousness, when you give yourself to prayer; you easily overcome the devil and his deception. Your spirit man is made alive, strengthened and equipped to defeat the strategy of the devil. If you are a prayerful person, you will not easily fall into temptation of sin, even when the thought is coming or when the enemy wants to make you fall, the spirit of God in you will resist the work of the enemy and that will keep you standing, I pray for you today, you shall not fall in Jesus name. Prayer is very crucial, if you must defeat sin, as a child of God, you are made perfect and complete when you seek God in prayer, the bible says, they that seek me early shall find me ( Proverbs 8:17).The Bible also says, men ought always to pray and not faint (Luke 18;1). Let me show you one more scripture that will enlighten you on prayer, in Matthew 26:41 the bible says Watch and Pray so that you will not enter into temptation. Prayerfulness enhances your watchfulness, it increases your sensitivity, it helps you conquer your vulnerability. If you don’t want to fall into the temptation of Sin, give yourself always to prayer.
- Control your Thoughts: Finally, to overcome sin, as a child of God, watch your thoughts, don’t let anyhow thought goes through your mind, be sensitive to the things that comes to your mind, sin first originate in the mind before it happens in life, it happens first in your thought realm, if you can tam it in your thoughts, then you can stop it in your life. This is how it works. If you give yourself to the word of God enough, as you ought to and you give yourself to prayer too, your thoughts will be edifying, evil and sinful thoughts will not be able to stay in your heart. Reject sinful thoughts immediately it comes to your heart.
I hope you learn new things? May God give you the Grace to put it to use.