TOPIC: JESUS AT GETHSEMANE
Scripture: Matthew 26: 36. Then cometh Jesus with them unto a place called Gethsemane, and saith unto the disciples, Sit ye here, while I go and pray yonder.
Beloved, I welcome you to another Moment of Daily Encounter! Yesterday, we considered. the first step to the cross as the triumphant entry into Jerusalem. Today we shall consider the second step which is Gethsemane experience!
Gethsemane means oil press! It is a garden that was situated on Mount Olives. Immediately Jesus celebrated the feast of Passover by taking the communion with His disciples, He went straight to the Mount Olives(Matt.26:30)! He was there until He was arrested the same night
What is the significance of Gethsemane to us?
1. Gethsemane as the name implies oil press is a place to press into God for your destiny. Jesus didn’t go to Gethsemane for once, it was a place of frequent meeting with God.
John 18: 2. … for Jesus ofttimes resorted thither with his disciples.
Beloved, do you have a Gethsemane for your destiny? Do you have a place of meeting with God on frequent basis. Don’t approach the matter of destiny on a fire brigade approach!
Don’t permit that it is only when you have a problem that is only time you go to God in prayer, pursue it as a personal adventure! Every one must be able to sort himself with God.
You may go to the garden of prayer with your best friend or partners but at Gethsemane, you are separated unto God. This is where you are separated from all distraction’s of life and focus on God.
3.Gethsemane is a place of pouring your heart to God(Matt.26:37): Jesus was sorrowful at Gethsemane but that sorrow was poured out to God. He even confided in the trio(Peter, James and John) to pray with Him but they were too tired to pray. Jesus was disappointed when He came and met them sleeping.
Matthew 26: 40. And he cometh unto the disciples, and findeth them asleep, and saith unto Peter, What, could ye not watch with me one hour?
Beloved, this is to let you know that man at his best is still limited! Jesus chose the three of them to help Him out in prayer but He was disappointed. So don’t be surprised when you expect men to pray for but they forget.
Don’t feel too bad when the people you are expecting to take your matter up in prayer fail to do so.
3. Gethsemane is a place of wrestling with the demons of sleep: It will amaze you to know that there are demons of slumber that often blow heavy sleep on you when you are in Gethsemane! Peter James and John were overpowered with this demon of sleep while Jesus floored it with destiny:
Matthew 26: 43. And he came and found them asleep again: for their eyes were heavy.
This is the kind of sleep that comes when you carry your Bible to study! You can watch films for several hours yet no single sleep but when you say let me pray or study, you will see this heavy sleep like someone covering you with a blanket- that is the demon of slumber, you have to deal with it at Gethsemane.
4. Gethsemane is a place of settling your life and sealing your fate in destiny(Matt.26:42): Jesus had to seal His fate at Gethsemane! Infact the Bible said
Luke 22: 44. And being in an agony he prayed more earnestly: and his sweat was as it were great drops of blood falling down to the ground.
5. Gethsemane is a place of angelic assistance: Luke 22: 43. And there appeared an angel unto him from heaven, strengthening him.
Beloved, the place of experiencing angelic intervention is Gathesamane. Myriad of angels are always at your service in Gethsemane.
Remember this: Heaven is real and hell is real! The decision of where to spend eternity is best made now. Give your heart to Jesus today.
– Father thank you for your word to me today
– Father help me discover and maintain my Gethsemane as my place of prayer in Jesus name.
– I Prophesy grace to maintain a prayer altar at your Gethsemane, receive it now in the name of Jesus.
– May you experience angelic assistance this week in the name of Jesus.
From your brother Alex
God bless you.