JESUS’ THOUGHT ON BEHAVIOURAL WISDOM
TOPIC: JESUS’ THOUGHT ON BEHAVIOURAL WISDOM
Scripture: Matthew 10: 16. Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves.
Beloved, I welcome you to another Moment of Daily Encounter! On the subject of behavioural wisdom Jesus gave His thought by saying “be ye therefore wise as serpents”! In other words, the degree of our wisdom for behaviour should be likened to that of a serpent.
This simply draws my attention to how a serpent behaves, that Jesus is saying we should be wise like them in behaviour? I thought, serpents are only known for evil, but a careful study reveals the following:
1. The serpent is very subtle(Gen. 3:1): This means the serpent is very clever, hard to notice and very skillful.
2. They also have the wisdom of moving into a new environment slowly unnoticed. They study the environment and know where to hide, where to get food and carefully blend with the environment with their cormourflag skin.
The wisdom here is don’t move into a new environment and be noisy about your mission because if you do, you might be frustrated there. Learn to be silent as you’re newly introduced to a place.
Don’t come to a new department and try to show you know more than those who were there before you. Learn to hide your knowledge so that you can learn, if you show you already know nobody will teach you. Even in soul winning, allow the person you want to win ventilate his/her anger or idea. Otherwise you may win the argument and lose the soul.
3. They know the right timing for every action and they plan before acting.
As we round up on behavioural wisdom, we previously gave several reasons why we need this wisdom. Let’s look at two more reasons why we need behavioural wisdom:
1. We must behave wisely because we are in a wicked world (Eph.5:15-17): The days are evil, you cannot afford to be foolish now:
Ephesians 5: 15. See then that ye walk circumspectly, not as fools, but as wise, 16. Redeeming the time, because the days are evil. 17. Wherefore be ye not unwise, but understanding what the will of the Lord is.
To behave like a fool, is to die like a fool! You will not die the death of a fool in the name of Jesus.
2. Our assignment as disciples on earth requires this wisdom (Matt.10:16): Jesus sent us into this world to make disciples for Him, and as such in making disciples, we require wisdom. According to our anchor scripture we are to be wise like serpents in discharging our duty!
The work of making discipleship begins with soul winning;
Proverbs 11: 30. The fruit of the righteous is a tree of life; and he that winneth souls is wise.
Do you know it takes wisdom to win a soul for Christ? Many of us have been Christians for many years but we are not soul winners because we lack wisdom for soul winning.
Beloved, your character is more vocal than your preaching, this is why you must be well behaved.
There are those who have chased souls into hell by their character. Do you know your behaviour can make someone to make up his mind for Christ? Then behave wisely.
Discipleship continues after the soul is won by maturing the soul into the full stature of Christ. It is at this point some disciples(Christian) miss it!
How can you permit yourself to be dragged down to the point of commiting sexual immorality with your convert?
How can you use your hands to push the soul you have won back to hell because of lack of wisdom?
There are those who have watched our behaviour and said, “if this is how Christianity is, i would rather remain a sinner and serve the devil.”
Beloved, it doesn’t matter your calling or profession, every one of us is involved in soul winning and moulding. We are the Bible they are reading, it is time to ask God for mercy for the souls we may have sent to hell carelessly and then ask God for grace to be well behaved such that we bring souls into his kingdom via our character.
Remember this: Heaven is real and hell is real. The decision of where to spend is best made now.
– Father thank you for your words to me today.
– Lord I ask for the wisdom to be as wise as serpent in Jesus name.
– I declare your turn to be favoured has come
– Received the wisdom to win souls in the name of Jesus.
From your brother Alex
God bless you.