TOPIC : THE POWER OF LIGHT (PART 2)
Scripture :Acts 9: 3. And as he journeyed, he came near Damascus: and suddenly there shined round about him a light from heaven:
Beloved I welcome you to another Moment of Daily Encounter! We began yesterday by outlining how powerful the light from God is, using the life of Saul of Tarsus as a case study. Today we intend to continue.
How powerful is Light (a case study of Saul of Tarsus?
1. It has the power to blind one from mundane things
2. It has the power to humble a man and destroy pride
3. It has the power to initiate and sustain brokenness (details of all these in yesterday’s meditation)
4. It has the power to initiate a lifestyle of prayer and fasting. The fourth thing we observe from the story of Saul of Tarsus is that he embarked on compulsory fasting and prayer (Acts 9:11): The moment Saul encountered the Light of God, it was reported that he prayed. Prior to the encounter there was no prayer.
Beloved, prayerlessness is a product of lack of encounter with sufficient light. Anyone who has encountered light does not need any one to plead with him or beg him to pray. Prayer is a natural environment for one who has encountered the Light of the word of God. Refusal to pray is a display of pride, because it is only in prayer we show our helplessness to God.
Besides, he did not only pray, Saul also added fasting to it. He had his first three days of dry fasting at the point of encounter with light:
Acts 9: 9. And he was three days without sight, and neither did eat nor drink.
Beloved, until you encounter Light from heaven, fasting and prayer will remain a challenge to you!
But the moment you encounter light along that line fasting and prayer becomes easy. Infact, the higher your light, the deeper your intimacy with God. Many believers have never fasted all their lives simply because there is no light along that line. When you encounter light, fasting and prayer is natural.
5. Light from heaven has the power to open your eyes: The fifth thing we notice from the story of Saul is that scales fell off from his eyes, he received his sight, got filled with the Holy Spirit and was baptized :
Acts 9: 18. And immediately there fell from his eyes as it had been scales: and he received sight forthwith, and arose, and was baptized.
Observe from the scripture above that scales fell from his eyes after encountering Light. This is the scale that had been covering him from seeing correctly. Whatever be the scale that has covered your eyes, it is not permitted to remain after an encounter with Light.
Besides, he was filled with the Holy Spirit and was baptized in water. But there are some of us believers in Christ Jesus who see no need to be baptized in water neither consider being filled with the Holy Spirit as something worth pursuing.
This is a clear case of lack of light. Until you encounter light, you can remain in church for several years and yet not be saved, not be baptized and not be filled with the Holy Spirit Today, I pray that you encounter that Light that will make you have an effective relationship with God in Jesus name.
6. Light from heaven has the capacity to transform a man’s life: The sixth thing we notice about Saul of Tarsus is that he had a change of heart, character and service.
(Acts. 9:20-22): This was a one time persecutor working against Christ and his Church, now preaching the same Christ because he had an encounter with light. He got so transformed in character and lifestyle that he became a reference point.
Beloved, have you really encountered the Light of the gospel? Then soul winning should be your life style. You may not know how to quote scriptures but at least you have an experience that is firsthand, share your experience of how your life got transformed. That is enough to win souls. But that can only happen when you have encountered Light.
7. Light has the power to transform a man’s life such that he could also have a changed name: The seventh thing from Saul was he had a change of name! Saul became Paul the Apostle (Acts. 13:9).
Beloved, if you were known as a thief, a fornicator, a fraudster, an armed robber etc before, it must change after your encounter with Christ who is the Light of the world. If your life has not changed then you need to have another encounter to produce this change.
Remember this : Heaven is real and hell is real! Eternity without Jesus is a painful eternity. Jesus loves you.
Prayer points :
– Father thank you for your word to me today.
– Lord I desire a daily encounter with you in Jesus name.
I prophesy the release of divine encounter with the Light of God that shatters every darkness around your life in the name of Jesus
May the light that produces transformation happen in your life this season in the name of Jesus.
From your brother Alex
God bless you.