TOPIC: THE VOCAL OR UTTERANCE GIFTS
Scripture: 1 Corinthians 12: 10. To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:
Beloved, I welcome you to another Moment of Daily Encounter! Previously we established that the infilling of the Holy Spirit produces charisma which is known as gifts of the Holy Spirit. They are called gifts and as such they are not earned! The Holy Spirit bestows it freely upon believers to profits the entire body of Christ (1Cor.12:7). These gifts are nine in number and are grouped into three, which include: revelational gifts, power gifts and today my we are looking at vocal gifts.
What are vocal gifts?
They are empowerment of the Holy Spirit that supernaturally enable one to say something.
A. Prophecy (1Cor.12:10):
1 Corinthians 14: 1. Follow after charity, and desire spiritual gifts, but rather that ye may prophesy.
Prophecy is supernatural utterance in a known tongue.
There are some persons who manifest the gifts of word of knowledge and word of wisdom through the vehicle of prophecy as in the case of prophet Agabus in Acts 21:10-12.
Prophecy is in two classes:
1. Foretelling: This is telling things before they happen. It comes with revelation. The office of the prophet comes with foretelling.
2. Forth telling: This is the simple prophecy that has no revelation in it. It is aim at edifying, exhorting and comforting the hearer.
1 Corinthians 14: 3. But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort.
Caution must be exercised not to get into trouble, by maintaining your limits. There are those who want to bring forth revelation by all means and they get into trouble. Everybody is not given the office of the prophet:
1 Corinthians 12: 29. Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles?
We can maintain simple prophecy by prophesying from the scriptures because the Bible is called the book of prophecy(Rev.22:18-19) rather than trying to formulate what you have not been given.
B. Divers kinds of Tongues (1Cor.12:10): Divers kinds of tongues is supernatural utterance in an unknown tongue. It is supernatural utterance by the Holy Spirit in languages never learned by the speaker, nor understood by the speaker, nor necessarily always understood by the hearer. It has nothing to do with linguistics ability, mind or intellect of a man. It is simply an operation of the Holy Spirit. It is also two classes:
1. Tongues in public worship (1Cor.12:28-30): The use of tongues is moderated by at least two or three persons who could speak while others interpret(1Cor.14:29). Some have laid hold on this scripture and said speaking in tongues is not meant for everybody. That will be quoting scripture out of context.
2. Tongues in devotional life (1Cor.14;2): This is encouraged in our daily lives as it helps us to build up/charge up our spirit. Everyone who is filled with the Holy Spirit is expected to maintain speaking in tongues on daily basis for personal edification. We are even encouraged to pray for interpretation to ourselves;
1 Corinthians 14: 13. Wherefore let him that speaketh in an unknown tongue pray that he may interpret.
C. Interpretation of tongues is a supernatural showing forth of that which has been said in an unknown tongue. This gift depends on divers kind of tongues to operate. The purpose is to render what has been said in an unknown tongue to the understanding of the hearer so that both the speaker of the unknown tongues as well as the hearer may be edified.
In conclusion, the Holy Spirit has several gifts that can be given to mankind. Our part therefore is to cooperate with Him! Seek the Giver of the gift who is the Holy Spirit and not just the gift.
Remember this: Heaven is real and hell is real. The decision to spend eternity with God begins now. Give your heart to Jesus today.
– Father thank you for your word to me today.
– Lord I need your Holy Spirit more than ever, I’m in love with the Holy Spirit and not just His gifts, so have your way in me in Jesus name.
– I declare by the anointing of the Holy Spirit, everything dead in your life comes alive right now in the name of Jesus.
– You are welcome to your rest season in the name of Jesus.
From your brother Alex
God bless you.